by Katie on July 22, 2012

It has been a while. I mentioned in my last post that I’d be taking a hiatus from blogging for a few months. I’m glad to be writing to you again.

Taking a little time away has given me time and space to consider where I’m headed and what I’d like to focus on.

While I have enjoyed immensely creating and nurturing Bistro Katie over the past year and a half, I have realized that it is time to move on to other things.

You may be wondering, why can’t I just keep updating Bistro Katie in my spare time? My reason is that energy and time are precious commodities. One must choose wisely, and I feel that many other people are doing work similar to Bistro Katie with much more expertise and dedication, so I can step back from that.

Along those lines, I’d like to share some resources with you.

• I’m a big cookbook fan. There are so many plant-based / vegan cookbooks available now. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be The 30-Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. The recipes are consistently delicious and, as the title suggests, relatively simple. Many of the recipes in the “Wholesome Suppers” chapter have become staples in my house. I highly recommend this book in addition to The 30-Minute Vegan: Taste of the East.
  • If you want to dive even deeper into culinary endeavors, I’d recommend Peter Berley’s The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen. His recipes on average tend to be somewhat time consuming, but they are fabulous. The book has guided me through many delightful hours of learning and experimenting in the kitchen.
  • When it comes to online resources, there are tons of plant-based / vegan blogs out there. While I don’t regularly cook from blogs myself, I feel confident recommending Susan Voisin’s Fat Free Vegan blog and Gena Hamshaw’s Choosing Raw blog. I’ve prepared healthy and delicious meals from both blogs, and I feel confident that you’ll be in good hands with them. The New York Times website is another good resource for vegan and vegetarian recipes.

As for BistroKatie.com, it will remain up indefinitely. All the recipes will remain, and I may spruce it up at some point  to emphasize the recipes and deemphasize the blog format. So it’ll still be here for you. :)

It has been an absolute pleasure to connect with you. I can’t thank you enough for your support. I wish you all the best as you pursue your culinary and life adventures.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

lauren July 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Bistro Katie!

You are the reason I now buy (and yes, cook and eat) quinoa! And you showed me the joys of collard greens!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the amazing recipes, for sharing anecdotes about yourself and for helping me to eat and be healthier!

And, back at you, a reminder of my favorite BK post: Bloom Where You Are.

Fond farewell, for now…

Jude Boudreaux July 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Good luck with your new adventure Katie! I hope it’s everything you hope it can be.

I often tell clients that saying yes requires saying no, and it looks like you’ve done a great job of reflecting on and living that. I hope your Yes is wonderful.

Angela July 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Oh! I just started following you a couple of posts back. I think it’s awesome that you’re pursuing where you think you’ll do the greatest good. I’m in the process of becoming an RD and I hope to work in public health nutrition. If you ever decide to blog again, I’d love to hear about your experiences. Good luck and thanks :)

betty goldberg October 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Just opened your website (curiosity!) and read………
Just wanted you to know…..
Love,B.
By the way:provided you can spare a few minutes, tell me about your new job…….
By the way (!); when I read the FT article I sent you a few days ago, I had in my mind that…provided you become a certified yoga teacher, you could ‘do it’(!) with companies (as a consultant) …..How about that?B.

Bill Kappel October 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for your blog. I am trying to stay on a mostly vegan diet that I have been on about six months. I need recipes with ingredients I can get locally in New Orleans. I will try several of your recipes and plan to use the blog as part of a support network.

Denis January 25, 2015 at 8:39 am

Now that is the genuine smile of a happy, hethlay married Lady.Your family are lucky to have someone as warm and touching in their lives as you and you really have physically changed over the past few years, into a totally different person.Your journey has been hard and difficult, but you can see in that picture, how much it’s enhanced everything about the way you look and how you live is now allowing you to age gracefully and beautifully.You deserve to be very proud of yourself, for being that Lady in that picture., because your end results are special.WELL DONE Kathi, you are a truly amazing and inspiring person. .Matt

Angelika January 25, 2015 at 9:22 am

Jeanette – Love these photos, love the phahogropter and LOVE the subjects! Awesome work Neysa. And J & K can’t wait for your wedding. These are beautiful! Love the one under the tree, love the third one two (that sounds funny!) where Kaitlin you have that look on your face.