Cajun bulgur salad with kidney beans

by Katie on May 30, 2011

Post image for Cajun bulgur salad with kidney beans

On this Memorial Day, we continue our mini-theme of grain-based salads, those wonders that can double as a meal yet are also perfect for potlucks. I served this cajun-inspired salad last Sunday at the NOLA Veggie Fest, so for those of you I met who asked me for this recipe, I’m happy to share it now. (Last week I shared the recipe for tropical quinoa and black bean salad, which I brought to the fest on Saturday.)

A couple things. First: bulgur. Bulgur is an awesome whole grain (it’s a form of wheat) that a lot of people have not heard of – but I’m seriously on a mission to change that. I first wrote about bulgur here when I made red lentil balls. I’m always looking for ways to diversify my diet, and cooking up some bulgur, instead of rice or some other grain you might normally have, is a great way to do that. You can use a ratio of 1 cup bulgur to 2 cups water, or even add more water (say, an additional half cup of water) if you like it fluffier. I usually just simmer it for 5 minutes, covered, and then turn the fire off and let it sit for another 25 minutes for it to finish cooking on its own. The bulgur will soak up all the water.

Also: a word about the spices. This recipe calls for a Cajun spice blend, and there are a million types of Cajun spice blends out there. If you’re curious, the kind I used was from Penzey’s. It doesn’t matter a whole lot which kind you use, as long as it’s got a flavor you like. The thing I’d caution you about when purchasing Cajun spice blend is to avoid what they call Cajun “seasoning.” That’s mostly just salt and pepper with a few spices thrown in. For a good Cajun spice blend, paprika should be the main ingredient.

And you’ll notice that I call for smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is, well, special. It’s very different from regular paprika or “sweet” paprika. I treasure my little tin of it because it adds so much depth of flavor to whatever you use it in. While I purchased mine at the Williams Sonoma at the mall, I’m happy to report, for my New Orleans-based friends, that the Rouses on Tchoupitoulas Street now has a fancy spice section to the right as you walk in, where smoked paprika is available for a few bucks. Get thee some. It will rocket-propel your cooking up about ten notches.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jocelyn May 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hi Katie! Leon and I were talking about Cajun spice blend this weekend! I knew you’d know! Hope all’s well!
Love you a bunch!
Mom

Katie May 31, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Hi Mom! Regarding spice blends, a do-it-yourself blend is totally possible too. I start with paprika and throw in some chili powder, cumin, coriander, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, herbs such as oregano, and whatever else strikes me. A dash of cayenne too. I make extra so I can use it in multiple dishes. But pre-made blends certainly make things easier.

Beth June 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I was really excited to find your blog. My husband and I switched to a plant based diet almost 6 months ago and we love it. Your recipes and tips are so helpful.
I fixed this Cajun Bulgur Salad a couple of days ago and it was wonderful. I reduced the vinegar in the dressing to 1-1/2 T (my husband’s not a big fan of vinegar) and it was a perfect meal for a hot summer day.

Katie June 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hi Beth, I’m so happy to hear that. I love this salad too and enjoy hearing how readers modify the recipes. Thank you for your comment!

vizeefnvfm May 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Great work!

Marion Whitton September 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Excellent read. I just passed this onto a buddy who was doing a little research on that. He just bought me lunch because I found it for him! Thus let me rephrase: Thank you for lunch!

ebook download produkte für mehr Erfolg December 14, 2013 at 1:37 am

Currently it seems like Expression Engine is the best
blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

cord blood bank August 3, 2014 at 10:32 am

However, certain risk factors have been associated with a
higher risk of SIDS. Going for an evaluation does not make you crazy, it does not mean you’re admitting
weakness. According to Florida law, for every 20 children the facility is
licensed for, there must be at least 1 staff trained in CPR
and 1st Aid.

lescodeplaystation.blogspot.fr August 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but
I’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share.
Many thanks!