Vegan andouille sausage

by Katie on March 9, 2011

Post image for Vegan andouille sausage

I’m excited to share with you how I made the vegan andouille-style sausage that I included in the jambalaya I made earlier this week. Yes – homemade vegan sausage! The sausage is what made the jambalaya extra special, so it’s really worth making it for that. But you could use the sausage for anything you’d use regular sausage for – even just slice it and eat it as a snack. You don’t need any special equipment to make the sausage – just a steamer basket, a blender or food processor (you could even do without that, if you had to), and aluminum foil. So if you have the ingredients, you can do it.

I recently learned how to make vegan sausage – and that it was in fact possible to make vegan sausage at home – from vegan cookbook authors Isa Chandra Moskowitz, who has a recipe for Spicy Pinto Sausage on her blog, and Julie Hasson, who created this method and has a recipe and video demonstration for Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausage on her website Everyday Dish TV. In the video, she encourages folks to create variations on this recipe, which I think is so cool of her.

My task was to make it andouille-style. The instructor of the class I went to last week at the New Orleans School of Cooking said that andouille sausage is double smoked. You make the sausage out of smoked ham and smoked pork, then you smoke the sausage. Also, it is usually reddish in color. So, I selected some key ingredients to add smoky flavor, reddish color, and spiciness. These include chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, and tomato paste.

If there was a negative about this recipe, it would be that it calls for certain ingredients that might not be available at your local grocery store. The main ingredient and what makes the sausage hold together is vital wheat gluten. I’ve been seeing it more and more these days in regular grocery stores, particularly the Bob’s Red Mill Brand, so hopefully it shouldn’t be difficult to find. The recipe also calls for chickpea flour and nutritional yeast, two more ingredients which aren’t in most people’s pantries.

To get around this, I tried making sausages without using the chickpea flour and nutritional yeast. The experiment was unsuccessful. I learned that these ingredients add serious flavor, but even more importantly, without them the texture of the sausage is rubbery and just not enjoyable to eat. Including them creates a lighter texture that makes the sausage a pleasure to bite into.

If you’re setting up your vegan pantry, vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, and nutritional yeast are things you will want to have on hand. Regardless, if these items aren’t available in your local grocery store, you could order them online so you can whip up these sausages anytime.

Enjoy, and if you do make these or some variation of them, I would love to hear about it. For all of you: what do you think of this idea of creating vegan sausages at home? Does it look easy, hard, appetizing, or not? I’m curious to know.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Marcie March 15, 2011 at 12:28 am

Incredible Katie!! I’ll have to try this. Fingers crossed. :)

Justin June 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Awesome! I wanna try.

Lo Radmore December 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Thank you so much for this! I am really trying hard to go completely vegetarian and mostly vegan, but I miss some of the recipes of my childhood — including sausages. This give me a chance to try something at home that is affordable, easy, and tasty and brings in my beloved recipes! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!

Noel December 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Holy Cow!! These are super delicious and wicked easy to make! Much better than any store-bought vegan sausages I’ve ever tried. I don’t have a food processor so I just chopped the chipotle peppers as finely as I could and it actually added some nice color to the finished sausages. Thanks a lot!!!

Katie December 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I’m glad to hear that, Noel! Thanks for the feedback.

Ashley March 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I made this sausage and cut it into slices, then browned in grapeseed oil to top a lentil soup! It turned out amazing and they really complimented each other well!! I also used the flavor from browning the sausage with onions as the start of a base for my soup. (Just had to take the sausage out so it wouldn’t get soggy)
Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Katie March 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Yay! I’m glad to hear it worked well for you, Ashley. I like the idea of using sausage slices to compliment something like a lentil soup.

Anna April 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m wondering if these can be made using something other than aluminum foil because when heated at high tempuratures, chemicals from the foil leach into the food.

Katie April 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

Maybe parchment paper, corn husk or whatever you’d wrap a tamale in?

Lauren Culp May 31, 2012 at 11:15 am

These were great! I made New Orleans red beans and rice and these added just the perfect touch. I can hardly wait for lunch to eat the leftovers! I saved one sausage to use on our vegan pizzas tonight. I will definitely make these again and hope to also use the basic recipe and vary the flavors a bit. Thanks for a great recipe.

Katie May 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’m glad to hear that, Lauren! Great meal idea.

Kristine October 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm

This was sooo good!! I made 6 sausages and substituted the maple syrup with Agave. I wanted to find a vegan andouille for a savory pie I make and want to be able to make it for a friend who doesn’t eat meat. I think it will be perfect. However, how do you think it will hold up in a pie?

John January 21, 2013 at 6:58 am

I recently managed to find wheat gluten in the UK, I’ve been looking for literally years and eventually found it in a wholefood supermarket in London. My first couple of attempts at vegan sausages using it have been rubbery, so I’m really looking forward to trying chick pea flour and yeast in the recipe. Vegan Chorizo here I come….

Jody March 12, 2013 at 5:09 am

Has anyone tried to freeze these post steaming?

Jones sabo irrespective of May 3, 2013 at 8:27 am

Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..